Jamaican Rice & Peas
- One can of red kidney beans
- Whole container of veggie broth (large box)
- 1⁄2 cup coconut cream
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 scallions/green onions, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup white onion, chopped
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper (left whole)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 1⁄4 cups uncooked brown rice
- Bring to a boil veggie broth, beans, and coconut cream.
- Cook until beans are tender
- Add the thyme, allspice, scallion, onion, garlic, scotch bonnet, brown sugar, uncooked rice, salt and pepper.
- Check the level of liquid over the rice and make sure there is at least one inch of liquid
(if not, you may add broth to cover).
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until rice is tender.