Jamaican Ackee & Dumplings
- 1 can Jamaican ackee, drained and set aside (typically bought at a Hispanic or Caribbean market)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or olive oil
- 1/2 cup white onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 1/2 cup bell pepper (red, yellow, or orange)diced
- 3-4 spring onion or green onion, chopped
- 2-3 sprig thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes cut into halves
- 2/3 Scotch Bonnet pepper, or Habanero
- sea salt, to taste
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium-high. Add onions and cook stirring occasionally until soft or browned.
- Stir in garlic, scotch bonnet pepper, and bell pepper and cook until tender. Add spring onions, thyme and tomatoes and cook stirring for about 1 and 1/2 minute.
- Add ackee to skillet with salt and stir gently (make sure to not over stir, you want the pieces of ackee to mostly stay together)
- Cover skillet and reduce to simmer until ready to serve.